Recipe adapted from Sara Moulton: Everyday Family Dinners
Ingredients:Basic Butter Pastry or store-bought pastry for a single pie. ¾ pound small boiling potatoes, such as Yukon gold or Red Bliss 1 medium onion 2 pounds cooking greens, such as chard, spinach, collards, mustard or a mixture 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 garlic cloves 2 ounces Gruyere cheese 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano 1 cup ricotta 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated if possible) Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 large eggs
- Prepare the Basic Butter Pastry (or skip and use store-bought). Chill half while you make the filling. (Freeze the remaining half for another use.) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups); place them in a medium saucepan. Add cold salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat to low and simmer the potatoes for 15-20 mins., or until tender when pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the onion (about 1 cup). Thoroughly rinse and spin dry the greens, remove the tough stems, and coarsely chop the leaves (about 24 cups –for mine, I only used 12 cups).
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Reduce the heat to medium-low; add the onion and cook for 5 mins., or until softened. Press in the garlic (about 2 tsp.) and cook for 1 min. Add half the greens and cook for 4-5 mins., or until they have wilted. Remove the greens with tongs to a medium bowl. Repeat with the remaining half of the greens. Return the first batch of greens to the skillet and cook for 2 min. more, or until any liquid in the skillet has evaporated.
- When the potatoes are done, drain and mash them with a potato masher. Combine the potatoes and the greens mixture in a large bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, roll out the pastry between lightly floured sheets of wax paper to make a 12-inch round; pat the edges of the pastry to make the round even. Fit the pastry into a 9-inch pie plate; press against the sides of the plate, allowing the excess to hang over the edges. Put the pie plate in the fridge while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Grate the Gruyere (about ½ cup) and Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 2/3 cup finely grated); fold the cheeses into the potato mixture along with the ricotta, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly beat the eggs; reserve 1 tablespoon. Stir the rest of the eggs into potato mixture and spoon the filling into the pastry-lined pie plate. Gently lift the overhanging pastry over the filling, pleating as necessary to make it fit. (It will make a 1-inch border covering the edges of the filling, which will be uncovered in the center.) Brush the pastry with reserved 1 T of egg.
- Bake the pie for about 40 minutes or until the filling is heated through and the pastry is golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Total time: 1 hr. 20 mins. File: Side dish, Brunch, Vegetarian Main.