Here’s something that doesn’t add up for me. There were over 230 fragrance launches in 2011, with 57 launches in March 2011 alone. For real?! That’s a lot of spritzing. I rarely hear people talk about wearing perfume any longer (or get a whiff of it either). Do I just live in a fragrance-free zone? Who’s buying all the perfume?
According to Cosmopolitan and CosmoTeen, who conducted a fragrance study in the U.S., they found out the following:
- Girls start to use fragrance at age 10, with 12% starting below 10, including body spray
- On average the respondents claimed to own 7 fragrances
- 58% of respondents claimed to use fragrance on a daily basis
- On average, women wear a favourite fragrance for three years
Really? I’ve had the same three bottles of perfume for the last five years. I guess I’m in a rut or something. I definitely do not spritz daily. Do you?
So, who were to top selling celebrity fragrances last year*? Brittany? J. Lo? Nope! You’re not going to believe it:
- White Diamonds, Elizabeth $54 million (first released in 1991)
- Driven, Derek Jeter, $27 million
- Heat, Beyonce, $21 million
- Tie: Unforgivable by P. Diddy, NYC by Sarah Jessica Parker, Fancy by Jessica Simpson and Harajuku Lovers by Gwen Stefani – $18 million
Questions, questions??Are you buying perfume or living a fragrance-free existence? Do you have a signature scent or change with your mood? Do you buy perfume as gifts?
Here’s a List of New Fragrances and Perfumes of 2011 via Now Smell This