DVF F/W11 (photo: Style.com)
The September issues and fall fashion Lookbooks have rolled out. Are you devouring them? I’m particularly excited about the rich hues of wine, berry, burgundy, ruby and deep plum, but also see ochre, golds, teal and rich green. Prints abound and at times, take on a life of their own as mixing shifts into high gear. Hemlines have fallen (just like our stocks), with midi and maxi lengths ruling the runway. Sportswear gets a pop of color as bright accents keep things lively. Coats get updated this season in standouts silhouettes such as capes and voluminous 60′s toppers, and other designs with punches of color.
Jill Stuart F/W11
Sass & Bide F/W11
Jewelry, Handbag & Shoe Outlook
Jewelry has continued its chunky direction, with thick cuffed bracelets, architectural silver pieces, and ornate chokers. Handbags have been over-hauled from heavily decorated to streamlined and structured. You’ll see more and more handbags with dual carrying options, both top handle and shoulder straps. Of course, crossbody bags continue to be widely available as women love the freedom of having two hands during morning commutes, traveling, shopping, and mingling. Many pumps have lost their thick, platform under-footing, in favor of thin soles. New for the season are loafer pumps, cut-out booties, color-blocked designs, ankle straps and luxurious-looking slip-ons.
Carry-overs from Spring
Printed pants are a trend that seem to be continuing from Spring 2011, as is the collegiate 70′s look, complete with wide-brimmed hat. You’ll also find a strong showing of shearling coats, boho fur vests, parkas and military designs that still look fresh. Orange is a color that won’t be stopped and I’m happy to see it stay on for autumn weather. Any of these items purchased last season will holdover nicely and serve you well through the new Fall/Winter season.
Trends In A Nutshell
- Bright Colors & Color-blocking
- Coats: Brights, Parkas, Capes, 60′s Volume and Fuzzed-out Furs
- Mash-up Prints – Mixing prints with abandon
- Polka Dots
- Vintage Cuts: 40′s, 60′s, 70′s
- Native Graphics – Western and Tribal elements
- Evening wear: Elegant Tuxedo
- Shoes: Loafer Pumps, Pointy-toe flats, Edgy Booties, Non-Platform Pumps
- Handbags: 70′s Classics, Squared/Structured, Leopard & Snake, Mini-crossbody bags & pouchettes, Textured (Lace, Woven, Fabric)
- Jewelry: Chunky Cuffs, Chokers, Architectural Silver
How To Update
Women are looking for their fashion dollar to really stretch this fall and won’t be spending their hard-earned paychecks on items that won’t go the distance. Here are some ideas for updating/raiding your closet for trend-worthy items that keep it current:
- Grab a blouse, dress or jacket in any Burgundy, Wine, Plum or Berry hue.
- Sling a Leopard Crossbody bag over your outfit.
- Add a Lace pump to your evening wear.
- Wear an updated Midi or Maxi skirt that flatters your proportions; try one with a slit.
- Pick out a Colorblock or Printed Day Dress for work.
- Update your jewelry. A standout piece or two is all you need.
- Ready for drama? Go for it with a Cape.
- Update your Classic coat look in a bright color or one with leather trim.
- Wear a Loafer Pumps by day and switch for an Ankle-Strap heel for night.
- Add a squared-off Structured Handbag or a Mini-Pouchette to your rotation.
I’m just starting to make my own Fall Shopping list for clothes, which will include pants, a go-to dress, colorful tops, day bag and some new arm candy (like a strong cuff). What are you shopping for?
All photos via Style.com