New York Fashion Week begins Feb. 11 for the Fall 2010 collections and there’s a buzz in the air. The designers will be showing us what’s new for Fall/Winter and which trends will be hot. Runway shows often dazzle us with the fantasy of fashion. The artistic concepts of couture and ready-to-wear shows give us drama, the designer’s point-of-view and the entertainment of theater. It’s amazing, fantastic and confusing. How do you translate all those wild looks into what to buy next?
Here’s how to read the runway:
- Color – What colors are the designers using? Are they bright, soft, neutral or metallic? In the photos above, ADAM shows how blue will be a major trend.
- Fabrics – What kind of fabrics are the collection showing? Are they heavy or light? Often Fall collections show tweeds, lace, leather, brocade, velvet or denim.
- Prints & Patterns – For Spring 2010, the collections showed Ikat, florals and digital prints; what will you see for Fall? Things to look for might be animal prints, plaids, or bold graphics. Notice the embroidery down the side of each piece at ADAM.
- Sculptural details – This might be pleats, folds, bubble hems, applique, shoulder padding, tulip hems, ruffles, etc. ADAM is showing soft folds and nipped waists.
- Influences– Designers love to draw from influences, whether it be a time period, like the 70s, or a genre like, global gypsy or slouchy menswear.
Also look for trends in Hair, Make-up and Accessories:
- Accessories – Check out the shoes and bags the models are carrying. Many times designers will use the same shoe for many models to drive home the trend. Look for open-toe, round-to, platforms, straps, color, boots and stilettos. Here, ADAM shows the same shoe and strappy belt for each look.
- Beauty/Hair – Recently, Alexander Wang kicked off a side-braid trend in his runway show, that you’ll be seeing on woman all over the planet this Spring. Shows also give make-up cues about lip and eye colors that will be hitting your locals stores.
Shows are meant to inspire, but it’s not an edict. Take what you like and pass on the rest. Wear what suits you and makes you feel beautiful. That’s the best style there is.
To see the full slideshow of ADAM Pre-Fall 2010 Ready-to Wear, Click here. You’ll notice slouchy menswear, soft fabrics, blue hues and nipped waists throughout the collection.