It’s still blazing hot outside, but it’s already time to get those first items for Back-to-School and Fall/Winter 2010. I know, I can’t believe how fast Summer is flying by, either. Incredibly, most of the big stores like Barneys, Saks, Neimans and Bergdorfs have already begun receiving their Pre-Fall merchandise. The waiting lists for Fall handbags have started and the itch to buy boots is already in the air(!) So, ready or not, here is the Big Picture for Fall 2010; the major trends that you’ll be seeing in the stores and on the streets.
- Texture: chunky knits, patchwork designs, textured fabrics & innovative draping
- Color story: crimson red, blues, jewel-tones, camel & grays
- Wider-legged pants (don’t worry, skinny will still be very popular)
- Lady-like Blouses
- Maxi & mid-calf length skirts
- Exotic skins, shearling, fur (but I vote for fake fur)
- Capes & Ponchos are popping up
- Boots: Ankle booties, biker boots, desert boots
- Shoes: Pointy-toe ballet & kitten heels, oxford tassels, nude heels, strappy black heels
- Jewelry: Chunky, statement pieces and pearls
With the economy stuck in the doldrums, there’s a focus on silhouettes and shapes that serve dual purposes. Lady-like glamour, eclectic pattern-mixing and texture also play heavy into the season’s look. With Fall, you’ll always see a return of animal prints and patterns, leather and boots with each season putting its own mark on it.
I’ll be going in-depth on many of these trends a little later, but wanted you to have the big ones in your hot little hands, in case you are heading out for some Pre-Fall shopping. If you’ve got your eye on a Fall handbag that might sell out, get that now, but save some money for later too. A wise shopper once told me to get a little bit now and little bit later. There are always some great items that come out in September/October and you won’t want to miss out on them.
The itch for boots is officially here!! What do I want this season?? I’d be so happy to find a pair of biker boots in gray. They’re on my mental wish list and I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for a pair that’s just right. There are a dozen other things on my wish list too, like some items in crimson and blue, a go-to handbag in a classic shape and some wide-leg pants. I’ll let you know what I find…