I nudge my husband and nod toward the direction of a hotel. Three adorable, young women standing in front of the Little Nell, all in various furry, animal-eared hats, are chatting up the valet and making their plans for the evening. Cut to lunch the next day, where another pretty young thing can’t help but make an entrance in her black cowboy hat and curve-hugging pants. These moments always make my day and I thank the stars that there is a steady diet of luxury fashion, great skiing and all things over-the-top in Aspen.
For us, Aspen is only a car-ride away and I feel very lucky about that. To gather the family for a road trip and meet-up with friends for skiing and great food is such a treat. Moreover, there’s something very core to our collective human experience about taking to the road and making the tangible journey, especially when it involves convenience store junk food and a long playlist. I also love packing without worrying about airport security and all those tiny little bottles in my quart-size Ziploc bag. Gleefully, I bring the whole damn bottle of shampoo, lots of shoes, too many coats and throw my skis on top of car, ready to go.
You can probably guess that the skiing was great. After all, we’re having an epic year of snow here in Colorado (if you’re toying with the idea of a ski vacation, this is the year to do it). Now, onto the other thing on your mind: what’s the fashion like in Aspen this year? Most women are wearing black leggings, knee boots with shearling or fur detailing and dark coats with fur-trimmed hoods. Braver souls than I tried navigating the icy streets in high heels as they gripped their partners arm. Alternately, the local ski and snow boarding set tend toward a casual vibe with skinny jeans, plaid shirts, slouchy hats and Sorels. The de facto hot trend right now is the Spirit Hood animal hat (shown above). It’s cheeky, warm, has built-in mittens and just might be cuter than a kitten.
- Kali’s Denim: 525 E. Cooper. Phone: 970-925-9509
Make a stop at this lively store for jeans, go-to tops and sexy night-out options. Buyer, Kimberly Wilson, has a great selection of Spirit Hoods and she says they are hot, hot, hot for this winter. If you’re headed to the Sundance Film Festival this month, stash one of these hats in your luggage and send me a picture!
- Boogie’s: 534 E. Cooper. Phone: 970-925-6111
This is where I found Plush fleece-lined tights. Soft, warm and perfect for your skirt + boot combos. Where have these been all my life? Comes in footed, footless, or patterned. The outer side is a smooth, regular-feeling tight and the inside has a soft fleece lining, which is not bulky, just pure heaven. Boogie’s also carries an impressive array of designer jeans, boots, and clothing. After shopping, head upstairs to Boogie’s Diner for burgers and shakes.
- Theory: 219 S. Galena St. Phone: 970-544-0079
Outpost boutique of all things Theory. Great selection of cardigans, sweaters, pants & tops all by this much-loved line.
- Amen Wardy’s Home: 520 E. Durant Ave. Phone: 800-228-5987
New location for the longtime Aspen home store, just across from the gondola at Aspen Mountain. Luxury tabletop, candles and gourmet goodies. Their collection of Elizabeth W bath products keeps me coming back.
Click link for the latest Yelp review:
- Jimmy’s: Gourmet American with a lively bar.
- L’hosteria: Upscale Italian with romantic ambiance.
- Mezzaluna: moderate Italian with a bustling bar scene.
- Matsuhisa: adventurous sushi by masterful chefs.
- Peach’s Corner Cafe: always busy for a good reason. Great for coffee and brunch.
- New York Pizza: when you’re in the mood, this is the real deal. Very casual.
- Little Ollies: Good for take out. I’m still thinking about the amazing wonton soup. Not sure why the Yelp review is so low. We had an excellent meal. Last review was over a year ago, so maybe the kitchen has changed for the better.
The Gant, 610 West End St., Aspen, CO
Rated #1 by TripAdvisor and now I know why. Only two blocks from the Aspen Mountain gondola, The Gant offers well-appointed 1 & 2 bedroom condos with truly excellent customer service. Free shuttle service to anyplace in town. We’d stay here again in a heartbeat.
What I Didn’t See
I’m not a celebrity stalker, but apparently Zoe Saldana & Jessica Simpson were in town for New Year’s. I was long gone by then, but I wish I would have seen Jessica Simpson in that headband (check out the last link below) while she was shopping at Fendi. So few people could pull that off, but she manages it. Go Jess!
- Zoe Saldana Hits The Slopes in Aspen (justjared.buzznet.com)
- Jessica Simpson & Eric Johnson: Snowy Stroll in Aspen (justjared.buzznet.com)
- Dave Navarro, Brooke Mueller Suck Face in Aspen! (tmz.com)
- Jessica Simpson: Aspen Vacation with Friends! (justjared.buzznet.com)
- Zoe Saldana: Aspen with Keith Britton! (justjared.buzznet.com)