My fashion confession is that I don’t like shopping that much. It seems like a lot of effort for little gain. After a few hours of hitting the shops with The List (must.find.perfect.pant/dress/shoe), I end up vowing to overhaul my exercise routine, indulge in too many moments of body unhappiness and will most likely have at least one thing that needs to be returned. In short, I feel drained and have just added another errand to my list.
You’d think that online shopping would be the way to go, but it has its own set of trials. After obsessing about an item for a few days (or weeks) and seeing if I can get it cheaper anywhere else (more time spent), I’ll buy it. The elation that comes when the UPS guy drops the package is wonderful. All the promise of a fantastic new edition to the closet is moments away. I’ll pretty much stop anything else in progress, to try on the coveted item inside that tissued box. And I’ll tell myself for a good couple of hours, that said item is amazing — until the shoe starts to squeak (true story), or the color is not really that flattering (true again), or the size is too big/small/wonky (all the time). Deflated, I pack it back up, where it sits for 10 days before I make a trip to the packaging store (another errand).
Which is the better process? Right now neither, but I have a new shopping game plan. An 80/20 proposal and an open mind. The List is probably not gonna happen, so I’m going to dial back on that. I’m going to persevere on buying in-person, because trying it on, feeling the fabric and judging the fit/color/vibe is important to me. That’s my 80%. The other 20% will go to the UPS guy and his exciting deliveries of Rue La La, Zara, etc., knowing it comes with a Russian roulette rate of success and a search for packing tape.
Going in person, while it takes time and an extra dose of self-love, tends to net me a better result and often beloved surprises. I go looking for black pumps (a cinch to find, right?) and come home with smoking slippers (…and loving them). Shopping victory. I’m sure I’ll find those black pumps, when I need a new pair of sunglasses anyway. That’s the secret right? Never go with a purpose. Just keep at it.
How do you keep shopping fun, productive and satisfying?? And where do you shop most, locally or online? Do you shop alone or with friends? Your wisdom is needed.