Extend your summer with this fresh, flavorful ice cream. Choose small, ripe peaches for this recipe, which pack flavor without excess water.
Fresh Peach Ice Cream2 cups finely chopped, ripe peaches, peeled if you prefer 1 1/4 cups sugar Juice of 1/2 lemon 2 large eggs 2 cups heavy or whipping cream 1 cup milk
- Combine the peaches, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the lemon juice in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring the mixture every 30 minutes.
- Remove the peaches from the refrigerator and drain the juice into another bowl. Return the peaches to the refrigerator.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, a little at a time., then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend. Add the peach juice and blend.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the peaches, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.
Makes a generous quart. Recipe from Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book.
See my End of Summer: Peach Ice Cream post for more information.